Where Research and Industry Meet
The FIND CDT is a select consortium of six universities integrating research with industry to support and train postgraduate research students. We are funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC).
The Centre has been actively co-created by a consortium of 49 companies including SMEs and industry sector leaders such as Airbus, Rolls-Royce, EDF, BAE Systems and Shell.
The Centre provides exciting opportunities for collaborative industry-university research in advanced sensor and imaging technology, and is designed to launch outstanding graduates into a high level engineering career.
Our university partners are:
- University of Bristol
- Imperial College London
- University of Manchester
- University of Nottingham
- University of Strathclyde
- University of Warwick
Postgraduate Research Programmes
We offer both PhD and EngD programmes which combine advanced knowledge and professional development training with industrially relevant research. Both routes are of equivalent academic standing and follow a four-year programme that will equip students with the skills needed to succeed in a career in industry.
All our projects are linked to industry. PhD projects tend to be focused on more fundamental research while EngD projects tend to be more applied. EngD students are based in a company for a significant proportion of their time, while PhDs are based primarily in the university.
Some other EngD programmes start with a completely taught first year, but our students are immersed in industry from day one.
During the 4 years of a PhD or EngD, each student will complete a range of cohort-based advanced technical modules and transferable skills courses, all delivered by world leading experts.
We have close links to the related UK Research Centre in NDE (RCNDE), so students are part of a vibrant community of more than 200 researchers.
Students will present their research at national and international conferences and at regular events to audiences from across industry. Networking workshops provide opportunities for collaboration across disciplines, reflecting the wide range of scientific skills needed within this area.
The FIND CDT builds on the previous CDT in Quantitative NDE, based at Imperial College London, whose cutting edge research has resulted in the successful creation of new companies, including Inductosense and Guided Ultrasonics. 38 out of 40 of the previous cohort of doctoral graduates now work in industry, nearly all NDE related, and several in already in senior roles.
Why Choose the FIND CDT?
• Enhanced 4-year studentships of ~£18,000 per annum living stipend (tax free)
• Payment of tuition fees
• A substantial consumables and travel budget to support additional specialist research training courses, secondments, purchase of specialist equipment and travel to international conferences, seminars and workshops
• Industry sponsored cutting-edge research projects
• Wide choice of EngD and PhD projects ranging from applied to blue-sky research
• State-of-the-art research facilities at leading UK universities
• Opportunities for overseas secondments to industrial partners and universities
• Access to a network of high calibre industrial partners of the Centre
• Excellent career prospects on completion