We know you might have some (or a lot!) of questions about FIND-CDT. Here are a few we know you’re probably wondering about. For any other whats, whys or hows, don’t hesitate to contact us on find-cdt@bristol.ac.uk.

What is a Centre for Doctoral Training?

Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), or Doctoral Training Centres (DTCs) as they are sometimes referred to, are formed by a group of research organisations (universities and industry partners) combining research and expertise to support and train PhD students. They are funded by one or more Research Councils within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI, previously Research Councils UK). A CDT offers its PhD studentships through its university and research organisation partners to postgraduate students. You can find more detailed information about CDTs on the findaphd website.

What is the difference between a PhD and an EngD?

Both routes mean a 4-year programme that will equip you with the skills needed to succeed in a career in industry. All our projects are linked to industry, with EngD students based in a company for a significant proportion of their time, while PhDs are based primarily in the university. During the 4 years, each student completes a range of cohort-based advanced technical courses and courses on innovation and entrepreneurship, all delivered by world leading experts. Students present their research at national and international conferences and at regular events to audiences from across industry. Networking workshops also provide an opportunity for collaboration across disciplines, reflecting the wide range of scientific skills needed within this area.

What is the eligibility criteria for funding?

A number of studentships each year are fully funded (fees and stipends) by EPSRC.  This EPSRC funding is open only to UK and EU applicants who have been resident in the UK for at least 3 years immediately preceding the start of the course. More specifically the student must:

  • Have settled status in the UK, meaning they have no restrictions on how long they can stay, AND
  • Been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the grant. This means they must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences), AND
  • Have not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education (this does not apply to UK or EU nationals).

Some studentships will be funded via other routes which will have different residency requirements and may be available to non UK or EU applicants as well.

Non-UK students meeting the academic requirements are also welcome to apply if they are able to self fund the 4 year programme. Alternatively, please see the link below for additional sources of funding that may be available. Further funding information: For home (UK) students For international students

How much funding will I receive?

All posts are supported by a bursary and fees (at the UK/EU student rate) provided by EPSRC, together with a generous top up by the relevant sponsor company (typically £5,000 pa).You will receive an enhanced stipend (Basic RCUK +£1,500 pa.)  The total stipend will be in excess of £18,000pa, tax free.